We’ll admit, sometimes it can just be so much fun being a woman. Getting ready for a big occasion involves the outfit, accessories, makeup and nails, but the crowning glory is definitely the hair. Blow-outs and elegant waves aside, showcasing your shoulder area and décolletage with a beautiful up-do is so often the way to dazzle, so we’ve enlisted inspiration for your next mane event (see what we did there?) from top hair salons in Singapore.
Collette Height from Expat Hair Studio showcases gorgeous up-do’s for all your special occasions!
Collette, hailing from Melbourne, has been in the hairdressing business since she was 17, and has been living in sunny Singapore for seven years. Over that time, she’s attended plenty of hair style courses, and two with the prestigious Sharon Blain. “I absolutely love putting hair up for special occasions and weddings – there’s nothing more elegant and there’s plenty of ways you can play with styles,” she says. See a few examples of her stunning work at Expat Hair Studio below!
Ellie Sakrzewski from The Big Blow teaches us how to create an elegant braided up-do at home
- Create a side parting in the hair. Starting from the side parting, take a three-inch section all the way down to the base of the hairline.
- Section away the rest of your hair so it doesn’t tangle.
- Starting from the crown, braid or plait the hair all the way down to the hairline, and secure the braid at the end with a small elastic band. To avoid the braid becoming too loose towards the end, tilt your head slightly. That way, when you straighten your head it will be tighter.
- Make a similar braid on the other side. This side will be shorter as the parting is closer to your ear.
- Returning to the other side of the hair, gather it into one ponytail at the back, or slightly off-centre if you would like the bun to be on the side.
- Backcomb the ponytail a little for volume, and then twist it around into a bun. Secure with bobby pins, letting small pieces fall out to achieve a messy bun look.
Hair washed the day before is easier to braid than very clean hair.
For more gorgeous hairstyles, visit the team at Deng Saloon for all your up-do needs.
Located conveniently at Adelphi plaza, the passionate team at Deng Saloon are experts at achieving elegant styles for both locals and expats alike. Helmed by master hairdresser Thomas Lee and Kelly Lee, a trained makeup artist, hairstylist and creative director who has done hair for editorial shoots, high society folk, weddings and more, you can rest assured you’re in good (and experienced!) hands.
Like this? There’s plenty more hair-spiration to be found in our Style & Beauty section!