Congratulations, you’ve managed to find a salon in Singapore that coloured your hair exactly the way you envisioned it. The challenge now is making that colour last. Between time spent at the pool and frequent washes, you could be looking at a colour touch up in less than three weeks. These expert tips from mane maestro Dominic Seow of Visage The Salon will help you extend the life of your colour.
- Wash your hair the day after it’s coloured. It takes up to 72 hours for the colour to be sealed into the cuticles, which is essential if you want it to last longer. Afterwards, cut down on the number of times a week you wash your hair and consider using a dry shampoo between washes.
Insider tip: Refresh hair between washes with Batiste Dry Shampoo to add texture as well as volume.
- Swim or get your hair wet in chlorinated water for at least seven to 10 days. Chlorine strips your colour and if it’s blonde it can even go green. If you get into the pool, make sure to coat your hair with conditioner before swimming, or wear a swimming cap.
Insider tip: Smooth a couple of pumps of L’Oréal Paris Extraordinary Oil +UV Protection before you hit the pool or the beach. It conditions damaged and coloured hair, and protects it from the harsh rays of the sun.
- Use a shampoo that contains sulphates. Along with dirt and grime, sulphates can also strip the colour from your strands, fading it faster than usual.
- Use a shampoo meant specifically for coloured hair. And don’t forget to condition after. This will help maintain your colour, and the conditioner will repair the damage.
Insider tip: O&M Original Mineral’s Hydrate and Conquer Shampoo and Conditioner are specially formulated to repair, hydrate and protect damaged and coloured hair from inside out.
- Use a deep conditioning mask once a week. And keep it on for at least 15 minutes before you rinse. It helps nourish and then close the hair cuticles for healthier, shinier hair.
- Use a heat protectant. If you blow dry or heat-style your hair after every wash, make sure to protect it with a lotion or oil to prevent any further damage to your hair.
Insider tip: Rich in Refining Lipids, the Shu Uemura Color Lustre Brilliant Glaze Thermo Milk (from $58), helps prevent damage from heat styling and prolongs the life of your colour.
Visage The Beauty Salon #02-11/14 Delfi Orchard, 402 Orchard Road
6733 0933 | visage.com.sg
This story first appeared in the LIV January 2016 issue. For subscription offers click here.
Want more? See our style & beauty section!