By: Amy Brook-Partridge
Dressing up your bed is the simplest and easiest way to inject your own style into a bedroom. Here are our tips for making your bedroom your own, with some product ideas from bedding retailer Fabindia.
• Paying attention to your bedspread is the easiest way to make your bedroom look neat and tidy. Play around with it; you can cover the whole bed, fold it in half and leave it at the bottom, or even use it as a runner across the mid-section of the bed. The way you style it should depend on what other textures and patterns you have to work with.
• Use scatter cushions, but avoid using too many as inevitably they will end up on the floor.
• Mix and match your patterns. On-trend stripes and geometrics work well together, as long as there is a cohesive colour pulling it all together.
• Mix up sizes, but try to stick to the biggest-to-smallest rule with pillows (bigger ones at the back and smaller ones at the front) to ensure they all get some visual attention.
• If you have more than one bedspread, don’t be afraid to layer. They can also be used decoratively; so, rather than hiding them away, fold them on top of a blanket trunk, or hang them on the wall at the back of a four-poster bed (as we did).
• Think about how you want to feel in your bedroom. Want to wake up invigorated and energetic? Use bright, sunny colours like red and yellow. Want a more calming atmosphere? Choose more muted tones like taupe, grey and cream.
• Don’t be afraid to change it up. Just for hygiene’s sake you should have more than one set of bedding, and you can completely alter the look of a bedroom just by changing the bed!
This story first appeared in Expat Living’s March 2015 issue.
Want more home inspiration? See our home decor section!