If you’re hosting Christmas dinner this year, here’s a recipe (serves four to five) for peppercorn beef tenderloin that definitely won’t disappoint. The creamy horseradish sauce gives it a great kick!
Ingredients for the tenderloin
- 1 1/2 tablespoon pink peppercorns
- 3/4 tablespoon green peppercorns
- 3/4 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 750g beef tenderloin mini roast, trimmed and tied with butcher’s twine
Ingredients for horseradish cream sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 leek, whites only, sliced into half-moons
- 60ml dry white wine
- 250ml heavy cream
- 50g fresh horseradish, peeled and finely grated
Note: This recipe makes about 250 to 300ml of sauce.
Instructions for tenderloin
- Heat oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Using a meat mallet or the bottom of heavy pan, coarsely crush peppercorns; transfer to small bowl. Strip leaves from rosemary and finely chop. Then add rosemary, honey and one teaspoon of salt to the same bowl with peppercorns. Mix to combine.
- With paper towels, pat the tenderloin dry. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and rub with the spice mixture. Roast to desired doneness: 60 degrees Celsius at 25 to 30 minutes for medium-rare.
- Transfer to cutting board; let rest at least 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with horseradish cream sauce.
Instructions for the horseradish cream sauce
- Melt butter in medium saucepan on medium. Add leek and cook, stirring occasionally until tender (do not let it brown!). Add vermouth and cook until syrupy, about four minutes. Stir in cream and simmer until reduced by half.
- Remove from heat and stir in horseradish. Season with salt to taste.
This recipe is courtesy of Sasha’s Fine Foods.
Expat Living readers can get 20 percent off their first orders with the code “SFFEXPAT” at sashasfinefoods.com.
Liked this? Then read more in our Wine & Dine section!