The purchase of a stroller in Singapore can be the cause of much hand-wringing and deliberation for parents. Here, we road-test three options on the market here.
– Infant car-seat compatible
– Fully reclining seat
– Peek-a-boo window and roll-up pockets for extra airflow
Child weight: Up to 20kg
Stroller weight: 6.2kg
Available at: First Few Years, #05-40/41 Paragon Shopping Centre, 290 Orchard Road, and online at firstfewyears.com.sg
The road test: Valco Snap
1. Easy to fold: I managed to intuitively figure out how to unfold and fold the buggy without instructions, and one-handedly, too.
2. Forward facing: There is no option to change the direction, but windows in the sunshade allow the child to see you.
3. Wheels: No fear of getting a puncture – the tyres are tubeless. It has a flip-flop- friendly foot brake.
4. Easy to move: One or two-handed, pushing the buggy was easy, with a smooth ride for my toddler in the fully reclining seat.
5. Size and portability: The buggy falls within the lightweight category at 6.2kg, but the carry strap is quite thin and it did dig into my shoulders, making it feel heavier. While it wouldn’t be ideal to carry for any significant amount of time, it is light enough to throw into a car or take on to a bus.
6. Accessories: In the past I’ve had to buy two shade extenders to contend with the Singapore sunshine. So I was impressed with the built-in extension, which opened with one zip and gave my toddler significant extra coverage. The under-seat storage holds one full supermarket bag. There’s a built-in handle strap for extra bags, something you usually have to purchase as an extra, and pockets in the rear could easily store a water bottle, phone and wallet.
– Reviewed by Katherine Allaway
Raspberry by iCandy
This coveted British brand rose to fame thanks to Victoria Beckham, and the Raspberry received the 2014 International Red Dot Design Award.
– Lie-flat position allows use from birth
– Parent-facing or world-facing
– Four-wheel independent suspension
Child weight: Up to 15kg
Colours: Seven, including fuchsia and wisteria
Stroller weight: 8.4kg
Available at: Mothercare at HarbourFront and Paragon, and Mothers Work at Great World City and Takashimaya. Or online at icandyworld.com.
Well known for its quality children’s furniture, Italian company Pali also makes strollers.
– Book closure
– One-handed manoeuvring and safe, central locking with unique handle
– A fully adjustable backrest that can be lowered without fixed positions
Child weight: Up to 15kg
Colours: Coral, purple, turquoise and green
Stroller weight: 3.9kg
Available at: First Few Years, firstfewyears.com.sg