Brunching at home? Swap out your same-old scrambled eggs for this Mexican morning favourite. This huevos rancheros recipe takes this rustic dish, popular on Mexican farms, and turns it into a crowd-pleasing breakfast option.
Ingredients for ranchero sauce:
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1 cup chopped white onions
• ½ cup chopped red bell peppers
• ½ cup chopped green bell peppers
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 tablespoon minced jalapeños
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• 1 can chopped tomatoes
• 1 cup chicken stock
• 3 tablespoons coriander, chopped
Ingredients for huevos rancheros:
• 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
• 4 large corn tortillas
• 1 can kidney beans, lightly mashed
• 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
• 4 large eggs
• 1½ cups grated cheese
Instructions for ranchero sauce:
1. Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a medium pot.
2. Add the onions and bell peppers, and cook, stirring, for three to five minutes.
3. Add the cumin, salt, cayenne, jalapeños and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
4. Add the tomatoes and their juices, and cook, stirring, for two minutes.
5. Add the stock and simmer until thickened, for about 15 minutes.
6. Remove from the heat and add the coriander. Adjust the seasoning to taste and cover to keep warm.
Instructions for huevos rancheros:
1. In a large frying pan, heat half a teaspoon of vegetable oil over medium high heat.
2. Add one tortilla and cook until it’s warmed through and just starting to brown (about 30 seconds). Turn and cook on the second side.
3. Remove, cover to keep warm, and repeat with the remaining oil and tortillas.
4. Reusing the same frying pan, melt one tablespoon of butter over medium high heat.
5. Break all four eggs into the frying pan and fry until they begin to set (about one minute). Sprinkle the eggs with the cheese and cover to finish cooking (about 1.5 minutes).
6. To serve, place one warm tortilla on each plate and spread with two tablespoons of warm, mashed kidney beans. Top with an egg and the warm ranchero sauce.
Like this? Read more at our wine and dine section: