We all know that Singapore is a fantastic travel hub, but things are about to get even better. Direct flights to the iconic Western Australian town of Broome are beginning in May 2018. With a flying time of only four hours, this is definitely a new short beach break you’ll want to put in your diary next to Bali, Samui and Phuket, whether it’s for a romantic escape or a trip with the brood. For the uninitiated, here are some of this quirky destination’s best experiences. (For a small place, it packs quite a punch…)
Highlights of Broome
# Camel Riding
As the sun sinks into the Indian Ocean, the sky lights up in powerful shades of red and orange; it’s the perfect time for taking a walk along pristine Cable Beach – consistently rated one of the world’s best strips of sand. Or, to make this a beach break you won’t forget any time soon, take a ride on one of Broome’s famous camels.
# Pearl Farming
Broome is synonymous with beautiful south sea pearls, and a tour of Willie Creek Farm will teach you everything about these renowned cultured pearls and the industry itself. And, yes, if you’re in the market for a new set of earrings, there’s the chance to shop too.
# Coastal Adventuring
Aside from Cable Beach itself, this part of Australia has glorious coastal features. These include expansive rock pools exposed by Broome’s legendary low tides, and populated by mini eco-systems. Gantheaume Point is home not only to stunning red rock formations over the water, but preserved dinosaur footprints.
Further afield, there is plenty of adventuring to be had on a 4WD tour of remote Cape Leveque at the top of the Dampier Peninsula north of Broome, or inland from there to a spectacular section of the Kimberley, taking in Windjana Gorge and Australia’s oldest cave system at Tunnel Creek.
Back in town, a visit to the Courthouse Markets is a must. Held on weekends from April to October, there’s everything from local arts and crafts and jewellery to fresh produce on offer, and some great live music. Finally, enjoy happy hour at Matso’s Brewery – don’t miss the mango beer or, if you’re brave, the ice-hot chilli beer!
Make it happen: Jetabout Holidays is offering three- and four-night “Highlights of Broome” packages, including round-trip direct flights, accommodation, return airport transfers in Broome, plus a half-day Broome town and Cable Beach sunset tour, and choice of a full-day 4WD Cape Leveque tour or Windjana Gorge and Tunnel Creek Adventure.
Cost: From S$1,235 nett per person
Special departure days: 22 May, 26 May and 29 May (taking advantage of the Vesak Day holiday in Singapore)
Special offer: Quote “ExpatLiving” and enjoy a discount of S$100 off per couple (terms apply).
More bucket-list breaks in WA
The flight to Perth is only an hour longer than Broome, so it’s also entirely viable for a quick getaway from Singapore, especially as you don’t cross any time zones to get there. Here are just some of the great travel ideas in this fabulous corner of Australia:
- Explore the Western Australian capital before heading out from the coast to Rottnest Island (“Rotto” to the locals) to see the quokka, a small and cute native marsupial, and the abundant marine life, including sea lions and southern fur seals
- Drive north along the coast to see The Pinnacles, famous limestone rock formations in the Nambung National Park, along with native wildlife including emus and kangaroos, and then on to Monkey Mia with its friendly dolphin population.
- Make for ever-popular Margaret River to the south of Perth, for gourmet food and wine, and the invigorating views from Western Australia’s most south-westerly point at Cape Leeuwin, then head inland to Manjimup for truffle hunting.
Make it happen: Jetabout Holidays has a range of itineraries starting from Perth, from coach tours to self-drive options, all inclusive of accommodation and other extras. Try one of these:
- Perth Family Fun Coach Touring (three nights)
- Coral Coast and Desert Drive (seven nights)
- Southwest Gourmet Route, featuring an exclusive Truffle Hunting Tour (six nights)
Cost: from S$625, S$975 and S$1,020 per person respectively
Special offer: Quote “ExpatLiving” and enjoy a free S$30 Grab Credit for every S$1,000 spent (terms apply)
Written in collaboration with Jetabout Holidays.
Photos: Tourism Western Australia